Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Good things don't last forever.

This summer has been quite uneventful and slightly productive. I have kept myself from reaching the highest level of boredom. I've made it to the gym almost everyday, and I finished the two short seasons of one of the best shows I have ever watched, Joan of Arcadia.
I decided to write this blog about it because I think that it did not get the attention it deserved. It was released in 2003 and it ended in 2005 because the ratings dropped drastically after the second season began, and CBS was trying to reach a younger audience. This is one of those things that annoys me about life sometimes. Intellectual shows, that have meaning to them and the ability to change perspectives for the better, never last. I liked that Joan didn't always understand why she was doing something, or even see the outcome of her actions. I strongly believe that everything we do in our lives, significant or not, can affect the lives around us, and that's a strong theme in the show. I also liked that the show could bring up God without bringing up religion, and I believe that it would be really helpful for those that are confused about God and want to find out who he really is without compromising to rituals. To me, having a relationship with God is what really matters, because without it religion becomes a simple routine that one is bound to get tired of eventually. I don't want to turn this blog into a religious discussion, but the show really impacted me in a way that I cannot simply describe.
It is frustrating that it got canceled and I hope to find another show that comes close enough to this one... I see shows like Jerry Springer, or I love New York... and I wonder how millions of people can sit and watch endless hours of such crap. Let's have a moment of silence for the millions of brain cells that we will continue to kill over the years.

♥ MFM

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... I remember hearing about this show, but I didn't know it lasted so short. You are right. God does not want us to succomb to religion. He wants to know us and us know Him. He wants a relationship.

    But yeah, I might have to look up this show. :) Good job, Cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of this show but wasn't old enough to catch interest and understand what was going on. I think that it's difficult to bring up God without religion, mainly because of my devout Catholic friend.

    I wish the intellectual shows would last. They're the most thought-provoking, therefore being the most interesting. But people are getting lazier and I'm surprised that they still enjoy shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with their dreaded puzzles and intelligent questions.

    Great blog by the way. I would be happy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!

    You should both look it up. Warning though. The last episode is quite disappointing because it is set up to introduce the plot of the third season. It leaves you wondering and again thinking why they canceled the show when it seemed to be at its best.

    And I basically brought up the whole deal about having a relationship with God first, because that is what I have struggled the most in the last couple of months. I am getting there though, and I think that once I have organized my thoughts and let things flow I will be able to think about religion.

    :)

    ReplyDelete